Health & Welfare


 According to the members, one of the most vital programs of the Local are found in health benefits offered through the International Union of Operating Engineers, Locals 181, 320 & Tennessee Valley Authority Health & Welfare Trust Fund “The Plan.” In recent years health care has undergone staggering change.  As a result, the cost of healthcare & health insurance has far outpaced the rate of inflation.  The Plan trustees have worked tirelessly to keep costs down while maintaining a quality plan for the members.  One avenue of achieving cost savings is through discounts negotiated by third party administrators within a PPO network of providers.  Local 181 utilizes this method to meet the needs of the membership.

Eligible participants have access to a PPO plan know as Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield .Utilizing healthcare providers in the Anthem BCBS PPO network is the most cost effective means for the membership and their dependents to gain quality healthcare. Healthcare providers out-of-network are available to the members; however, at a higher deductible and copayment as compared to the in-network providers.

Prescription drug coverage is an important aspect of our healthcare program.  The Plan utilizes CAREMARK, Inc. to manage the cost of this benefit.  Under Caremark, Inc. the members have access to local participating pharmacies for one (1) order prescription needs.  For long-term maintenance medications members and the fund save additional monies via mail order prescriptions.

Health Reimbursement Account (HRA) - Effective September 1, 2010, a Health Reimbursement Account (HRA) was established for all eligible Active (Class A) participants or any retiree or early retiree with active work hours, whereby a portion of hourly Employer Contributions received, as determined by the Trustees in their sole discretion from time to time, will be deposited into an eligible participant's HRA.  This portion is, for bookkeeping purposes, treated as if it has bern set aside into an account in the individual participant's name, to be used exclusively to cover certain medical-related out-of-pocket expenses, not otherwise covered by the Plan. Those Active participants eligible for coverage will have a credit of $0.75 for each credited work hour placed in their HRA. Beginning January 1, 2011, you will be able to use any money accumulated in your account for eligible out of pocket expenses.

Amounts in the HRA accumulate over time, i.e. unused amounts may accumulate and be carried over year to year.  To see more detailed information regarding the HRA such as covered expenses, reimbursements and items not covered by a participant's HRA click here. To print a HRA reimbursement form click here.

If you are an active participant and you have not received your Benny card in the mail or if you have any questions regarding the health reimbursement account, please contact the Health & Welfare Office at the numbers listed below.

If you have any questions regarding Health & Welfare Benefits call The Fund Office at:

If calling from KY use: 1-800-242-7076 
If calling from IN use: 1-800-626-7024
If calling from Henderson, KY use: (270) 826-6750

Health & Welfare Forms

Enrollment Form – Any time a member has a life change or a change in information, an Enrollment Form will be sent to you for your completion. These changes include:  change of address, change of beneficiary, change of marital status whether marrying or divorcing, addition of a new baby or dependent, and change of a member or dependent’s other primary insurance coverage. By accessing, completing, and mailing this form, the completion time for making these changes will be greatly reduced.

Members have 60 days to notify our office and submit the required paperwork to add dependents.  If the paperwork is not received in 60 days, the dependent will be eligible the first of the month following the month in which it was received.

As a reminder, if you are reporting a marriage, we will need a copy of your marriage license. If you are reporting a divorce, we will need a copy of your divorce decree as well as any papers stating who is to carry the primary insurance on any dependent children. These papers are also requested if there are any step-children being added to the plan.

There are instances when other information may be requested. If you have questions about your specific circumstances that are not addressed here, please call the Health & Welfare office to find out specifically what may be needed based on the information you are changing or adding.

Request and Authorization for Transfer of Contributions Form – Any time you are working as an IUOE Operating Engineer outside of Locals 181, 320 & TVA’s jurisdiction you must complete a Request and Authorization for Transfer of Contributions form and submit it to the IUOE Local whose territory you are working in. This gives the jurisdictional IUOE Local authorization to transfer your Health & Welfare hours to your home local. By accessing, completing and sending this form to the IUOE Local you are working under, you may reduce the time it takes to receive the transferred hours, which could affect your eligibility.

Anthem Medical Claim Form and Instructions – Should you see a medical provider that will not file your insurance directly, you can access, complete and mail this form to Anthem for the charges to be processed. Also, if you know prior to seeing this provider, the form can be taken with you on your visit for the physician or provider information to be completed.

Benny HRA Reimbursement Form - To receive reimbursement for covered expenses paid out-of-pocket, you must complete one form per patient along with the information listed on the form.  Please allow up to 30 business days for reimbursement and all reimbursements for claims will be made payable to the member.

Authorization Agreement for Direct Payments (ACH Debits) - The Fund Office accepts ACH Direct Payments from retirees and early retirees.  Many retirees are now taking advantage of this option to have their monthly self payment automatically deducted and paid to the Fund Office.  If you wish to have your self payment automatically deducted, just download and complete the Authorization Form, attach a voided check from your checking account (or deposit slip from your savings account) and mail them to the Fund Office.  You may need to check with your bank to get your Bank ABA Number or Bank ID number.  Remember - this is for retirees only!

Request to Terminate Authorization Agreement for Direct Payments (ACH Debits)- To cancel your established ACH Direct Payment from either your checking or savings account, please complete the form above and mail to The Health & Welfare office. Any future monthly self payments will have to be remitted directly to the Health & Welfare office.